Advanced Learner Loans
Advanced Learner Loans can help you pay for the costs of a course at a college or training provider in England.
Eligibility for this loan is not dependent on your household income and there are no credit checks you need to undertake.
Repayment of the loan begins only once you have completed your course and when you are earning more than £21,000.
The Loan covers tuition for your course only. Please see the Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund to help pay for living costs for the duration of your course.
What you’ll be able to claim will be dependent on the type of course you are looking to take. The course fees and the maximum loan that is available for that course. The minimum loan you can get is £300 and goes directly to your college or training provider.
The Advanced Learner Loans used to be available for learners aged 24 years and above but from 1st August 2016 this loan will be available for those aged 19 and above.
Nationality or Residency Status
You must usually:
- be living in the UK on the first day of your course
- have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
- be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (this means there are no restrictions on how long you can stay)
You may also qualify if you’re:
- a UK national, or someone with settled status, but you live somewhere else in the European Economic Area (EEA)
- an EU national or a family member of one
- not a UK national but you’ve lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half of your life)
- a refugee
- a migrant worker
Get in touch..